Mitchell A. Imanaka is a founding partner and the managing principal of Imanaka Asato LLLC. Mr. Imanaka has been active in representing developers, lenders and other real estate industry stakeholders for nearly forty years, and continues to be a prominent and recognized leader in Hawaii’s real estate development and business community.
Mr. Imanaka was instrumental in the recodification of Hawaii’s condominium law, which became effective in 2006, and was a co-editor and contributing author of the Hawaii Real Estate Law Manual, the definitive work on real estate and finance law in Hawaii.
Mr. Imanaka is a former chair and current member of the Real Property and Financial Services Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association, and a former vice-chair of the State of Hawaii Real Estate Commission. During his tenure on the Commission, Mr. Imanaka served as the Chair of the Condominium Review Committee. In addition, he has served as a Subdivision and Timeshare Consultant for the State of Hawaii and an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Hawaii’s William S. Richardson School of Law in the area of real estate development and financing.
Mr. Imanaka is currently a member of the national board of directors for the American Resort and Development Association (ARDA), the trade organization for the timeshare industry in the United States. He also serves on the board of the National Association of Office and Industrial Properties, Hawaii chapter (NAIOP), and the Urban Land Institute, Hawaii chapter (ULI). At ULI he served on the Hotel Development Council for over ten years, and is currently a member of the Recreational Development Council (Red). Mr. Imanaka is also a member of Lambda Alpha International and the Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, Aloha Chapter.
Mr. Imanaka received the Hawaii State Bar Association’s Ikena Award for outstanding service to the public and legal profession and carries a Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rating (the highest legal ability and ethical rating). He has been named a “Super Lawyer” in real estate law by Washington Law and Politics Magazine.
Mr. Imanaka received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center and his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where he was valedictorian of his class.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Residential and Mixed-Use Condominiums and Condominium Hotels
- Vacation Ownership and Resort Development
- State of Hawaii
- United States District Court, District of Hawaii
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Member
- Real Property and Financial Services Section, Member and Past Chair
- American Resort and Development Association, Board Member
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), Board Member and Past President
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Hawaii Executive Committee, Member
- ULI Hotel Development Council, Past Member
- Pacific and Asian Affairs Council, Vice President and Board Member
- Lambda Alpha International
- Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, Aloha Chapter
- State of Hawaii Real Estate Commission, former Vice-Chair
- Former Real Estate Commissioner for the State of Hawaii Real Estate Commission
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Hawaii’s William S. Richardson School of Law
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rating
- "Super Lawyer" in real estate law by Washington Law and Politics Magazine
- Hawaii State Bar Association's Ikena Award for outstanding service to the public and legal profession
- Editor, Hawaii Real Estate Law Manual
- Regular speaking engagements for real-estate related organizations and financial institutions