Imanaka Asato’s (“IA”) Government Relations practice offers comprehensive government-oriented services to our clients based upon 40 years of successful advocacy in the islands.
IA’s deep understanding of substantive issues in a variety of business sectors, coupled with our strong relationships with local government, business and community leaders, enables us to design and advance strategies to meet our clients’ objectives. Whether you are a Hawaii business, or a mainland or foreign organization, we work with clients to develop innovative strategies for outreach and effective working relationships with key local decision makers. This foundation then allows our clients to influence and fluidly adapt to the ever-changing local political and community environment in a manner best suited to meet their needs.
Our services include:
- Legislative Advocacy & Bill Monitoring. IA has a proven ability to resolve even the toughest policy issues in Hawaii’s unique environment. Our team combines a strong understanding of the local political environment with broad legal insight to meet the individual goals of each client. Services range from bill monitoring and review to research and bill drafting to designing and implementing comprehensive policy campaigns. Whatever your issues are, IA has the ability to advocate on your behalf to meet your legislative needs.
- Strategic Communications. For communications to be strategic in nature, the right messaging must be utilized in the context of a master plan that is executed in a consistent manner and aligned with an organization’s vision. Our team takes this holistic approach to strategic communications to quickly identify and motivate appropriate audiences through the most advantageous mediums to achieve project objectives. We have successfully guided clients in setting communications goals, as well as guiding companies in their implementation of outreach channels on controversial issues. Importantly, IA includes in any master plan the need to foresee and address potential threats prior to commencement of a project in order to avoid or mitigate damaging consequences.
- Local Market Entry. Our team assists mainland and international organizations in developing a planned method for entering the Hawaii market in existing or emerging industries. This analysis often involves whether there is a strategic fit for the organization within the Hawaii market; identification of other local competitors; development and implementation of a strategy to navigate Hawaii’s unique business and cultural environment; and short and long term community investments that provides win-win opportunities for all groups involved.
- Political Law. We advise a diverse array of clients including corporations, NGOs and other organizations on all aspects of political law including campaign finance, lobbying and government ethics. We also represent clients in training regarding these areas of law, and in disputes of these issues should the need arise.
- Association Establishment and Management. IA is able to assist clients with the creation and management of industry and/or trade associations that can be used to consolidate resources to advocate for policies which benefit a particular industry or support best practices within the industry.
- Administrative & Procurement Law. Our team represents clients before state and local regulatory agencies in Hawaii. We assist clients through the government procurement process, including drafting and responding to requests for proposals and requests for information, contract formation, and government contracting compliance.